Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Portland Brewery Tours - Shipyard and Allagash

Since I had the day off, I decided to do something productive..like have free beer. We first headed to Shipyard Brewing Company, and then we headed to Allagash Brewery.


Shipyard: The tour was incredibly short, though we didn't get to watch much of the movie because the tour started before we arrived (and we were on time, boo!). Since they do tours every hour, there were only 3 of us on the tour. We sampled 5 beers. My favorites were the Summer, Export, and Old Thumper.






Allagash: Their tour only happens once a day, so there was a large crowd. They start off with the beer tasting, and then move onto the tour, unlike Shipyard. I would highly recommend this tour due to the beer tasting alone. We tried 6 beers, it would've been 5, but one of the people on the tour asked about a specific beer and then we sampled that one as well. ^_^ My favorites were Allagash White (of course), and Dubbel. Tripel reminded me of Sake, which I was never really fond of, but Curieux I did like. Curieux is Tripel, aged 8 weeks in Jim Beam Barrels..it certainly did change the flavor a lot. Four was okay, and Black was pretty good. It's hard to go wrong with Belgian style beers. In fact, I think this has inspired me to possibly visit Belgium while I'm in Europe next month.


No comments: