Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Aachen, Germany and Vaals, The Netherlands and Gemmenich, Belgium

I took a lot of pictures this day, but I also visited three countries so it makes sense.

First I took a train to Aachen which is the most western city of Germany and quite beautiful (in my opinion). There was a pretty big and spread out festival going on in the center of the city. I think it was called the Aachen September Special.

Here are some pictures I took while exploring Aachen.

One of the first impressive buildings I came across was the Aachen Cathedral. Charlemagne had this built around 805 AD. Pretty old and pretty cool!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Some street views.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

St. Foillan-Kirche

Photobucket

After this I decided it was best that I do some biking and then see how much time I had left for exploring. I really liked Aachen a lot..

Photobucket

This picture was actually taken on my way back into Germany, but I was expecting another sign so I passed by this one not realizing this was it.

Photobucket

So after going 1000m, I was in Vaals, The Netherlands. The two towns combined to form one really..no inbetween for these two countries! And not long after crossing the border, there was a rotary.

Photobucket

Here is the Hotel Kasteel Bloemendal which is one of the only things I found to look at while in Vaals. There was a church, but honestly I was being lazy and wanted to find my way to Belgium already. I had a map this time at least!

Photobucket Photobucket

I originally missed my turn and ended up at another rotary with a strange metallic structure.

Photobucket

I checked the map and turned around. I wasn't that far from the road that would take me to Belgium. Here are some pictures I took along the way. It was hilly and pretty, so it was a good excuse to stop frequently for breaks!

Photobucket Photobucket

There was a turnout so I turned to take this picture. This is where I came from, not where I was going. :)

Photobucket

I continued biking up hill and taking pictures. I found some horses that kept moving closer to me as I took pictures.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

And then I finished it and continued into Belgium.

Photobucket

Out in the country here..Apparently this is Gemmenich. They speak many languages here, but mostly French.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I stopped by a few stores here but only picked up a few souvenirs. I was really tempted to stop in at this place and have a beer..one of my favorites advertised in the country of it's origin.

Photobucket

I decided I'd rather not drink and drive! Not in hilly regions when I have to bike through two countries anyway (haha).

More animals on the way back.

Photobucket

After stopping for souvenirs in Vaals on my way back, I biked back into Germany. Ahh...aahh...aachen! hah hah hah..oh dear me..that was such a sad try at humor. I promise I won't attempt that again for awhile.

Aachen Rathaus (City Hall)

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Here is a side view of the Rathaus, with a festival to the right (pictures not far down). Also to the right was a cookie/chocolate store called Lambertz. I bought things for the people I was staying with here but nothing for myself. For some reason Lambertz sounds familiar to me though and I wonder if they export to the USA ever? Oh well..

Photobucket

The ferris wheel near the Rathaus.

Photobucket Photobucket

Kaiserdom (Aachen Cathedral) with the festival.

Photobucket

On foot wandering about.

Photobucket

St. Foillan-Kirche (again) behind a building.

Photobucket

This is the Theater Aachen which on the front reads "Musagetae Heliconiadumque Choro". I guess that means "To the leader of the Muses and the choir of the dwellers on Helicon".

Photobucket

No comments: