Saturday, September 27, 2008

Dresden

This is the last day of my trip that I really took pictures, though I actually left on the 29th. The 28th I slept in very very late from having gone out until 5:30 or so in the morning the night before. Then of course I had to pack and bike to the train station and somehow end up in Berlin. When I arrived in Berlin it was already getting dark, so I biked to the hotel, dropped off bags, went back out to buy a few things and have dinner, and then the next morning I packed and headed straight for the airport.

So here is Dresden again..I didn't take as many pictures as I did the day before, but that's because I had a bike accident (nothing serious) and had to go out of my way to find a bike shop before exploring more. I also made it "home" relatively early because I wasn't that familiar with the area I was staying in and I feared I would get lost finding my way. I did get lost of course, but not nearly as bad as the many times I found myself lost in Berlin.

So now on with the photo part of the journal. :)

I first biked over the Elbe River (I had stayed on the other side the night before). I took pictures of Sächsische Staatskanzlei (Saxon State Office) and the Finanzministerium (Ministry of Finance) from across the river, as well as some buildings on the side of the river I was on.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Then I started to bike back to the place I was the night before.

Photobucket

Here is the Semperoper (Semper Opera House) near the Zwinger.

Photobucket

And then looking across the street toward the Hofkirche and Residenzschloss.

Photobucket

This is around the time I had the bike accident, but I still decided to take a look at the Zwinger since there was daylight now.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

After this I walked/sorta biked around looking for a bike shop. I finally found a shop which wasn't a bike shop, but they happened to be able to help me (yay!).

I was near the Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall) now, so I took a picture of the statue out front.

Photobucket

And then biked back to the Neumarkt (New Market) which is where Frauenkirche is.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I took the same route, following the road past the Fürstenzug.

Photobucket

And ended up back at the Hofkirche. A pianist was playing out in the open..

Photobucket Photobucket

After taking a picture of the buildings along the Elbe, I decided it was time to head back to where I was staying.

Photobucket

I'd been told about this place called Kunsthofpassage which was a courtyard with a fountain and a lot of neat shops. I stopped by one called "Feng Shui Haus" to buy a puzzle someone told me was called "vier gewinnt" (Connect Four). The box called it Tic Tac Toe, but it's not like the original Tic Tac Toe, it's more like 3D Connect Four. Anyway.. I took some pictures of the courtyard space after eating a sandwich I'd picked up at a cafe.

Photobucket Photobucket

That's the end of the photo adventures of today. :)

No comments: